Over the past three decades, electronic payments have become the cornerstone of international commerce, allowing consumers, businesses and governments to transaction business and move money with increasing convenience, value and security. At the backbone of the electronic payments and financial technology industry are issuing and acquiring banks, ISOs, technology providers, payment processors, software and hardware developers, and the many investors and lenders who have financed the progress of this international industry. Over the last 30 years, Waller has been at the forefront of this constantly evolving industry, assisting clients in each of these industry categories reach and exceed their business goals and actively working with various industry trade-groups such as the Electronic Transactions Association and the ATM International Association to move the industry ahead. Clients value our in-depth knowledge and experience in the industry, as well as our unflappable approach as we develop creative solutions to resolve their conflicts and help them achieve their goals.
We represent a wide range of companies in the industry with respect to mergers and acquisitions, commercial finance transactions, and general corporate matters.
Those clients include:
- Venture capital and private equity investors
- Commercial lenders
- Acquiring and issuing banks
- Acquiring and ATM ISOs and processors
- Money Service Businesses
- ATM and POS terminal manufacturers
- Fully-integrated providers of electronic transaction authorization, processing, settlement, and funds transfer services
- Merchant and ISO advance companies
- Network service providers
- Payment gateways
- Prepaid and stored value card program managers
- Providers of check imaging, conversion, processing and verification services
- Providers of electronic payment options to governmental entities
- Providers of information services and payment verification systems to healthcare providers
- Purchasers of residual streams and merchant portfolios
Waller also counsels clients with regard to commercial contractual relationships and the development of new sales channels and technology-based products and services, all of which involve the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements such as sponsorship agreements, referral agreements, agent agreements, technology outsourcing agreements, issuing agreements, program management agreements and various other types of commercial agreements.
In addition, we provide regulatory counsel to issuing and acquiring banks and other financial technology industry participants with respect to the various payment network rules, such as STAR, NYCE, PULSE, PLUS, etc., Visa, MasterCare and Discover card association rules, PCI-DSS and the various state and federal rules and regulations governing financial transactions, such as the Bank Secrecy Act, the CARD Act , Dodd-Frank Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Truth in Lending Act and the USA PATRIOT Act .