Public and private real estate investment trusts (REITs) depend on Waller for advice and counsel in real estate capital markets transactions and the acquisition, development, leasing and disposition of real estate.
Our REIT team comprises corporate, securities, real estate and tax lawyers who work together closely to provide seamless service to our REIT clients. We focus on the issues facing our clients and provide pragmatic advice and creative solutions that assist them in achieving their business objectives. Accordingly, our lawyers understand the laws and regulations applicable to REITs, monitor emerging issues that affect REITs and are members of industry associations such as the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT).
We have counseled REITs, real estate funds, sponsors, contributors and other owners of real estate that operate in the healthcare, medical office building, multi-family, collegiate housing, self-storage, hospitality, shopping center, industrial and senior living sectors at all stages of their life cycles on a variety of matters, including the following:
- Initial REIT formations;
- Conversions, rollups and spin-offs of existing entities into REITs;
- IPOs, follow-on offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities;
- UPREIT and DownREIT transactions;
- Joint ventures;
- Mergers, acquisitions and other strategic transactions;
- Acquisitions and dispositions of both individual parcels and entire portfolios of real estate;
- Corporate and property-level debt financing transactions and debt restructuring;
- Tenant leasing and lease administration;
- Ongoing corporate and securities counseling; and
- Corporate governance and compliance matters.
In the course of these and other engagements, we have worked closely with the regulatory agencies, investment banking firms, accounting firms and other professionals active in the real estate industry. As a result, our team is qualified to assist REITs with responsive and cost-effective representation when conducting real estate transactions or accessing the capital markets.