In his 30 years of practicing tax and business law, Leigh Griffith has helped clients grow their businesses from the start-up stage to multimillion-dollar corporations. Transaction-oriented businesses, healthcare companies, private equity firms, Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), and partnerships rely on Leigh's experience and counsel to structure their tax matters, which can range from a few million dollars to over $1 billion. Colleagues and clients regularly turn to him for his deep knowledge of tax at the state, national, and global levels.
Leigh is also a sought-after seminar leader for continuing professional education programs and has a featured column, "The Pass Through Partner," in Taxes Magazine, published bimonthly by CCH Tax and Accounting. His background as a certified public accountant has contributed to groundbreaking legal work, including:
- Creation of the first LLC in Tennessee
- Development of the Double Holdco LLC structure for the home healthcare industry
- Being named principal draftsman of the Tennessee LLC Act
- Participating in the first insurance annuity combination securitization, recognized by the rating agencies as a new security and a new asset class
- American Bar Association Tax Section Advisor to National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws - Series of Unincorporated Business Entities Drafting Committee
Excited by the intellectual challenges presented by the ever-changing landscape of tax laws, Leigh provides advice that "looks around the corner" and he "looks out the windshield rather than in the rear-view mirror."
Best Lawyers recognizes Leigh in the categories of Government Relations Practice, Litigation & Controversy–Tax, and Tax Law. Leigh is also one of only two Tennessee Fellows of the American College of Tax Counsel.