From startup ventures to publicly traded companies, James Bristol advises clients on all types of compensation and benefits. Well-versed in federal and state tax rules, ERISA, SEC disclosures, and the myriad regulations that surround benefits and compensation packages, James embraces the challenge of finding solutions that meet the client's goals. Clients who rely on the firm for a variety of corporate and litigation matters appreciate that James adds another layer of service. His experience includes:
- Traditional benefit plans and equity compensation
- Compensation packages for incoming executives and directors
- Deferred compensation agreements, including 409A, SERPs, rabbi trusts and funding
- Transitioning compensation programs following mergers or acquisitions
- Severance packages for departing executives and directors
- Advises business owners and trustees in ESOP transactions
A creative, convergent thinker, James recognizes that executive benefits issues are complex, not only because of regulatory requirements, but also because of the public relations aspect related to shareholder scrutiny. Clients can appreciate that James collaborates with their internal advisors to craft well-rounded solutions.
Best Lawyers recognizes James in the following categories: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – ERISA, Tax Law. Furthermore, James has been named Nashville's 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law. He has also served on several occasions as an expert witness on ERISA matters. James' expert witness CV is available here.