Jeb Gerth has been defending clients’ interests in state and federal trial courts, appellate courts, arbitration proceedings, and before government regulators since 2005. Clients value his approachable and relatable style, both in the courtroom and the boardroom, and call on him regularly for assistance defending litigation and for his practical advice on a wide range of complex employment and employee benefits issues.
Jeb’s recent trial and appellate experience includes:
- Leading the trial team in the successful defense of gender discrimination, retaliation and equal pay claims, resulting in a complete jury verdict in his client’s favor.
- Oral argument on behalf of one of the world’s largest employers before the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals which resulted in a favorable decision on claims of race and age discrimination, retaliation, and FMLA interference.
- The resolution of complex claims arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) in a class action.
- The ongoing defense of an EEOC enforcement action that seeks to modify and expand an employer’s duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
In addition to his employment practice, Jeb regularly advises on complex issues arising under ERISA, and he has litigated a wide range of ERISA disputes across the country.
Additionally, Jeb has successfully obtained summary dismissal in a wide range of other disputes —including race, age, gender, disability, and religious discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims. He also assists employers in enforcing and defending non-competition and non-solicitation agreements both in court and through negotiated resolution of claims.
Jeb regularly speaks to lawyers, human resources professionals, as well as employers and state regulatory agencies, on best practices in the workplace to reduce the risk of litigation. He has authored numerous articles on employment law issues and has been published in the American Health Lawyers Association Labor & Employment Magazine, and the Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law.
Jeb is a Member of the Executive Council of the Tennessee Bar Labor and Employment Law Section and formerly served as its Chair.
- 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyer