Paul Davidson represents individuals, corporations and professional services firms in complex and high-stakes civil litigation. He has tried cases in state and federal courts and in arbitration and has represented clients before state and federal agencies and the Tennessee Attorney General. Paul has also argued numerous appeals in state and federal courts.
Paul has served as lead counsel in trial court matters across multiple jurisdictions involving many different substantive areas of law, including contracts and business torts, antitrust, securities, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, breach of fiduciary duty, professional malpractice and trusts and estates. He has been recognized in Best Lawyers in America for more than 15 years (Commercial Litigation, Antitrust, Intellectual Property, Mergers and Acquisitions and Securities Litigation) and in Chambers USA ( Business Litigation).
Among his recent successes, Tennessee’s Attorney General selected Paul to represent a number of nonprofit healthcare organizations in complex fraud and breach of fiduciary duty cases. Paul and his team at Waller recovered nearly $90 million that is now being used for charitable purposes in Tennessee. Paul also recently tried a shareholder dissenters’ rights case to verdict in Tennessee’s Business Court where he won a 100% victory for his client on all claims; and he tried an arbitration case in New York City for a professional services firm, winning a multimillion dollar verdict.
Paul's pubic record representations include and have included:
- Burr v. Dollar General – Lead trial counsel in defense of Fortune 500 corporation sued for alleged fraudulent accounting practices. Plaintiff, who settled a related SEC enforcement action for insider trading, sought more than $80 million in damages.
- Care Foundation, Senior Trust and Elder Trust v. NHC and NHI – Lead Counsel for Receiver of several healthcare organizations in complex fraud and breach of fiduciary duty cases resulting in the recovery of approximately $90 million
- Crosby v. KPMG – Counsel for Big 4 accounting firm in connection with SEC investigations, PCAOB inspections and in numerous litigated matters, including class actions involving audits of publicly traded companies
- Athlon v. Duggan – Lead trial counsel in shareholders rights case resulting in victory at trial and in Court of Appeals
- Smyrna v. Municipal Gas Authority of Gerogia – Lead counsel in defense of breach of contract and fiduciary duty arising out of millions of dollars in natural gas hedging losses
- Major Bob Music v. MP3.com – Representing mucic publishing house and artist Garth Brooks in copyright infringement suit in the Southern District of New York
- Lead counsel in the defense and prosecution of numerous antitrust cases, involving claims of exclusive dealing, unlawful tying, refusal to deal, and the use of intellectual property to eliminate competition
- Lead counsel in prosecution and defense of numerous intellectual property cases, including trademark infringement and the theft of trade secrets
- Lead counsel for death row inmate Steve Henley in over 20 years of appellate and post-conviction proceedings in Tennessee’s Supreme Court, before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and in the United States Supreme Court